Monday, June 29, 2009

Work can be a gift

Some call work a curse. "I don't have enough time due to work", some call it a bane, "If not for work I could be doing..."

I don't deny that work has been a curse and a bane, but I realise that work is also a gift.

People work for various reasons... be it the money, passion for something, or a pledge to certain people or groups of people significant to their lives. For some, it's a combination. It's these reasons that drag a person back to work, day after day, from Mondays to Fridays, and is far more powerful than his/her intentions itself. Such powerful reason as the self-directed question, "why am I doing this", or "who am I doing this for", and thus, "therefore I need to persist".

I'm very glad I found my work partners Andrew and Weikang. I'm currently going through a rough patch, and had I not a commitment to them to make our work project a success, I would probably be a victim to my own emotions right now.

I'm not sure if you're reading, but guys, thanks alot. Really... I really could have been caught in a vicious loop right now.

It's easy to want to fall into the vicious loop. It's a natural gravitation. However, work commitments just keep you from falling in.

On a separate note, I think couples too, need to commit to a higher goal than each other. I never saw it that way before. No, it's not about committing your relationship into God's hands. Atheists, agnostics, relax.. you need not cringe. Merely committing to each other isn't enough. If there was anything I'd do to change my relationship, I would find the relationship upon a mutual premise that includes love, happiness, success and all that is good. A commitment that is able to discernibly shunt anything else - hate, negativity, blame, jealousy, noise, contempt - out of the relationship so that both can live for that single-minded happiness.

No comments: