Monday, May 4, 2009

STOMP STARBLOG POST: “Porked” out of my senses - Julian Wong

Topic: Recession, pay cuts, more people unemployed, and now swine flu. What's your mood now? How do all these affect you, your lifestyle and your friends?

“Porked” out of my senses.
Julian Wong - Current mode? Nonchalant. I never knew what the "swine" in swine flu meant till I wanted to write about a first-hand account of a swine flu conspiracy which I heard from a friend. Only then, I looked up the dictionary and found that "hog" "swine" and "pig" were interchangeable in the context of hog/swine/pig flu. 


I'm less affected than bothered by all the brouhaha about Swine Flu, H1N1 and the like in the media. Back since Mass Communication days, I've weaned off the press, knowing that Media is pretty much just an orchestration of what the ruling government wants people to think and concern about. What I see is like *Rolls Eyes* , By God! Same Shit Different Day! (SSDD) Can't we have something new for a change.

Sure... and then came the whole AWARE saga. Confusing as hell! Till now, I'm not aware if it was the outgoing committee or the new committee that spurred the inclusion of defecto sexual orientation in the school sex education curriculum. Local online blog aggregators' top 10 spots have 3/10 spots taken up with pointless headings like "Leaked letter from AWARE discussion". Look I really don't care! Singapore youth have been labelled as apathetic, ignorant and egotistical when it comes to national affairs and the elections. I don't really enjoy the Mundane Members of Majority- you know, the homogenous looking herds of same-expressioned folks along Orchard Road or Raffles Place, but I just joined the club.

CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING

No comments: