Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Updates to Singapore Phone Scam

Multiple people might be targetted. Benjamin, my girlfriend's bandmate's mother received a similar phonecall with regard to "her son being nabbed". Her reply? "Haha. My son's in University. Beat more la!" 

The caller speaks in a mix of mandarin and hokkien profanity.

My grandmother received 2 more calls. Both calls, my aunt answered. In the second call, the same called to ask if she had the money ready. Having ascertained this is a hoax, she played along and replied that she needed to go to the bank.

15 minutes later, she received the 3rd call. She said she had yet to go to the bank. The same caller said this time, he wanted $40,000.  She pretended, "sorry, I'm out of job. I only have $500."

Then the caller was convinced and said, "fine then... $700, and I release him", "give me your handphone number, so we can arrange for meetup later." 

My aunt then said, "Sorry.. I'm out of job. Can't afford to have a phone".

Then the caller told her to go borrow a phone and that he'll be calling back again.

My mom had made a trip down to the police post, and was told to work together on apprehending the scammer.

DO NOT at anyone time divulge any personal details, address or phone numbers to the scammers. They may use pressure tactics to try and lure the weak-minded out.

No comments: